"This was a hugely informative day - both theoretically and practically."
We are very pleased to report that our recent Discovery professional development course on Michael Gow's drama Away was a great success! I had the pleasure of meeting and working with a group of amazing teachers as they continue preparing to teach the new Area of Study: Discovery from Term 4 this year.
Teachers were introduced to our 'Stages of Discovery Approach' - an approach which emphasises discovery as a process and offers teachers a way of designing a unit of work that results in a clear and manageable study of Away, whilst also ensuring that all aspects of the rubric are addressed.
Teachers also learnt how to use a variety of 'Visible Thinking Routines' to promote student engagement with the course rubric and the play.
Overall, it was a very productive and motivating day, with everyone leaving feeling both more confident and better equipped to tackle the new Area of Study.
A big thank you to all of the teachers who attended our course and we would like to take this opportunity to share some of their wonderful feedback with you:
What do you see as the main benefit(s) of attending this course?
- "Brilliant material for the new Area of Study! Fantastic teaching strategies and all course booklets are excellent!"
- "A good opportunity to unpack the new rubric and discuss aspects of discovery. Also good strategies to assist in the teaching of the unit, which were well modelled."
- "Love the routines! They are surely something that our school can benefit from."
If you were to recommend this course to other English teachers who are preparing to teach Away for the new Area of Study, what would you say?
- "A must do for any teacher - new to the job or new to the text!"
- "I would highlight its value to use as a resource for programming and planning."
You can see our catalogue of other Discovery PD Courses here.