"I really liked the course materials; I think they will be wonderful! I also enjoyed looking at the two example ORTs. I feel prepared for Term 4!"
On Tuesday 4th March we held our first Discovery professional development course, which focused on programming and developing a high-quality unit of work for Ernesto 'Che' Guevara's The Motorcycle Diaries. I had the pleasure of meeting and working with a group of amazing teachers as they continue preparing to teach the new Area of Study: Discovery from Term 4 this year.
Teachers were introduced to our 'Stages of Discovery Approach' - an approach which emphasises discovery as a process and offers teachers a way of designing a unit of work that results in a clear and manageable study of The Motorcycle Diaries, whilst also ensuring that all aspects of the rubric are addressed.
Teachers also learnt how to use a number of 'Visible Thinking Routines' to promote student engagement with the text and designed a variety of excellent HSC appropriate classroom activities and learning sequences, for both The Motorcycle Diaries and related texts.
Overall, it was a very productive and motivating day, with everyone leaving feeling both more confident and better equipped to tackle the new Area of Study.
A big thank you to all of the teachers who attended our course and we would like to take this opportunity to share some of their wonderful feedback with you:
What do you see as the main benefit(s) of attending this course?
- "To discuss and share ideas. Lots of interesting teaching strategies - practical and beneficial."
- "The student work book was useful, as was the practice paper. These will certainly come in handy."
- "The main benefit has been the usefulness and quality of the course materials. I especially liked the way the prescribed text was divided into relevant sections."
If you were to recommend this course to other English teachers who are preparing to teach The Motorcycle Diaries for the new Area of Study, what would you say?
- "The 'Stages of Discovery' provides a good framework and the resources are useful in building a program."
- "That it is really helpful at giving you a handle on the Area of Study as a whole, as well as the prescribed text."
Check out our other Discovery PD Courses here.